Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

Pumpkin Gelatin Chiffon Pie

The last chiffon pie I made was a flop (because I failed to notice the importance of several ingredients and inadvertently left them out). This past evening, I attempted to redeem myself and erase a bad experience from my memory (as well as an awful taste). The pie turned out wonderfully, so I thought I'd share the recipe from you (taken from the queen of all cookbooks, Joy of Cooking).
Pumpkin Gelatin Chiffon Pie (makes a 9-inch single-crust pie)
Prepare:
A baked pie shell or graham cracker crust
Soak:
1 tablespoon gelatin
in:
1/4 cup cold water
Beat slightly:
3 egg yolks
Add:
1/2 cup white or brown sugar
1 1/4 cups canned or cooked pumpkin
1/2 cup milk, soy milk, or rice milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger
Cook and stir these ingredients over - not in - boiling water until thick. Stir in the soaked gelatin until dissolved. Chill until mixture begins to set.
Whip until stiff, but not dry:
3 egg whites
Stir in gradually:
1/2 cup sugar
and fold into the pumpkin mixture. Fill the pie shell. Chill several hours to set.

1 comment:

  1. I ate a slice in the car while Ian drove me to the apartment and I must say, I thought it a vast improvement from the last attempt. Very delish.

    ReplyDelete