Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Lost in Translation (this post can also be titled, "Free Entertainment")

I have always heard the phrase, "Lost in translation," and although I knew what it meant, I didn't know to what extent. Today, I found out just how hilarious some things can be when you translate and then retranslate. 
Just for fun, I started playing around with Google translate, and I laughed my head off at some of the things I came upon. For instance;


English: Hippos love their pig friends and go to pig parties whenever they can make it. 


Then I translated it into Dutch. It came out looking like this;


Dutch: Nijlpaarden houden van hun varkens-vrienden en ga naar varkens-partijenwanneer ze kan maken.


On Google translate you have the option to hear someone say the phrase in dutch. It's definitely very entertaining, so you should try it.


Then I thought to myself, "What if I translated the Dutch phrase into English? Would it mean what I wanted it to mean?" So I gave it a go. 


Dutch: Nijlpaarden houden van hun varkens-vrienden en ga naar varkens-partijenwanneer ze kan maken.


Translated into English; Hippos love their pork and friends go to parties where pigs can make them.


I must say, when I saw it fully translated, I literally laughed out loud. Mara Unni heard the commotion and came to see what I was laughing about. When she read it, she laughed out loud too. I hope you did as well. And after reading this post, I hope you'll spend some time at Google translate. 'Cause you know, it's free entertainment. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment