Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

Yesterday I went to St. Louis with Mara Unni, Exie, and Havalah for Rachel's birthday. On our way to meet Rachel at the Container Store, we stopped at Whole Foods Market and stocked up on (delicious) vegan jerky! Per Rachel's request, we ate lunch at Jilly's Cupcake Bar & Cafe (the cupcakes were AMAZING!) and then went to the St. Louis Art Museum! At the art museum there was a painting of fishes swimming in the Hao river and a placard was beneath it with this dialogue:


Zhuangzi: "See how the minnows come out and dart around where they please! That's what fish really enjoy!"


Huizi: "You are not a fish, how do you know what fish enjoy?"


Zhuangzi: "You are not I-so how do you know I don't know what fish enjoy?"


Huizi: "I'm not you, so I certainly don't know what you know. On the other hand, you're certainly not a fish-so that still proves you don't know what fish enjoy!"


Zhuangzi: "Let's go back to your original question, please. You asked me how I know what fish enjoy-so you already knew I knew it when you asked the question. I know it by standing here beside the Hao."




p.s. pictures of the trip will be posted sometime next week, because Exie has the camera and is attending a horse camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment